Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Books Online

Thing 22. In Google Books my search for 'quilting' books came up with thousands. I had a closer look at the first few pages, most were snippet view or limited preview. This site could be useful in helping to select a book to purchase or checking the contents of a recommended title.
I went to the 'Find in a library' link out of interest for a couple of books. One book went to the National Library of Australia Trove site and the other to WorldCat.
A subject search 'quilting' only brought up one book in Project Gutenberg. I was only able to view the contents pages online.
I have learnt something about copyright through this task. I was surprised that Animal Farm by George Orwell wasn't available in full text as I understood it to be in the public domain. I have discovered that this work is in the public domain in Australia but still under copyright in other countries. The copyright status of the book I looked at in Project Gutenberg stated that the book wasn't copyrighted in the United States but to check the laws of your country before downloading this ebook. I doubt that anyone would be prevented from downloading the book though.

No comments:

Post a Comment